Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thoughts on Intellectual Property

I was in a discussion with one of the professors the other day about students and plagiarism.   This led to a very interesting conversation.   Basically, he believes the premise that there is “nothing new under the sun.”  How do we really distinguish our thoughts from the influence of those around us?

I can see that with the advent of connectivist learning that the sharing of ideas could dramatically influence our personal thoughts and theories.  How does or will that affect our claims to intellectual property?   I think it’s going to be hard to draw a line in the sand for that one. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! It actually got me thinking too, and I will be dedicating a blog post to the same topic shortly (albeit with a proper reference to the original source - connectivism be damned :) )

    A fellow QEP-er :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we accept that plagiarists will always exist, isn't our firm ground in just sticking to the basics? Knowing the how and why of citation is what most students need, I think.

    ReplyDelete